Friday, February 15, 2008

unphotographable

A friend of mine just sent me this website: Unphotographable

The picture I didn't take was Wednesday morning in North Philly as I drove to the PSPCA. My directions took me down 8th street towards Erie Avenue and on my left I passed a house with a vigil set up on the front steps with pictures and teddy bears and an assortment of real and fabric flowers. It was raining, and sad, and then I looked up and on the opposite corner was a deli-type store with a big stenciled sign advertising a sale on "Gravesite Markers: $3.o0" and in front was a selection of just the type of things set up on the porch of the house I had just passed.

The whole experience saddened me, and I'm not even sure I would have wanted to take the picture...but there it is, burned in my head.

No comments: